1. If you are here for the first time, welcome to the beginning world of Skooppa.

And more importantly, thanks for being here!

Please keep in mind we are just starting, so a lot of questions might not be answered in great detail and to your satisfaction. Please be assured, this situation isn't something we are happy about, as we want to be as transparent as possible as a company. However, we can't give up all our innovative ideas, before we actually make them real. We need to keep a competitive advantage. Be rest assured though, our ideas are really cool, innovative and we have a lot of them.

So with that having been said, we invite you to join our cause and thank you again for doing so. We know that it is you, who will make Skooppa great.

The Skooppa Team! Oh, and please don't forget to register. This big notice will disappear, once you do!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your understanding about the term "Cloud Computing"?

Discussion in 'Cloud Computing' started by s.molinari, Nov 25, 2013.

1. s.molinari

s.molinari Uber Dreamer Staff Member Adreamistrator

I've noticed a lot of people seem to have varying opinions and understanding about what "cloud computing" is all about. I'd like to get the discussion rolling with you all, to see what you think and maybe possible show you what we think it is. It is very important actually, because cloud computing itself is new, but has huge potential for us all.

So, I'd like to humbly ask you, what is your understanding about the term "Cloud Computing".

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor New Member

To me, cloud computing means the Server isn't in my building ... it resides in the internet. So to me, any software running on the internet is "a part of the cloud".

The cloud doesn't scare me.

Maybe all the clouds in the header are getting people to focus on Clouds ? :)

upload_2013-11-25_8-52-44.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. s.molinari

Yeah, that was a bit of the intention. "Blue sky thinking", or "thinking that is not grounded or in touch in the realities of the present", was also something we wanted to relate to. We want to go way beyond what anyone can get now. We want to be innovative;)

What you are refering to is just "the cloud". For instance, to use "the cloud" it mean you would be storing or using anything on the Internet, which allows you to use it on a number of devices or computers. The most popular "cloud" offering is just plain old data storage.

"Cloud computing" is something a bit different though. Maybe someone else can point what cloud computing is?

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hatsu

Hatsu New Member

Well, that's not that easy. While official definitions are more technical for me it's those three components, the keywords my and data are important, where data is more than just personal details:
    • My data is hosted by an external provider which I have no admin access to.
    • Synchronization of my data over several different devices by this external hosting provider.
    • At the end of the day my data can be compromised, sold, "stolen" or confiscated without my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. s.molinari

Hmm....although those things have little to do with what cloud computing is all about, they are some of the worries people who don't understand it have.
    "External providers" are all over the place. Your hoster is an external provider. He has your data. And you have admin access to it.

The same goes for a cloud computing hoster too. The only difference is we want to provide an additional layer. Skooppa is between the real provider, in our case Rackspace, and the customer. You will have admin access to all your data. So, that point is void.

Not sure what you mean here by "different devices". Can you explain better?

Which can happen right now, if you are using any hosting company.

Obviously, any "provider" of any service must show their service is trustworthy and secure. We will also take on that challenge.

Scott

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. s.molinari

Rethinking what you might have meant here. If you meant root admin access to a server, that would be then correct. With Skooppa, you wouldn't have root access to any servers. If you are so skilled that you can run your own server at root level, then you might say Skooppa isn't necessary for you. But then again, I think you will.;)

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hatsu

Hatsu New Member

You asked us what we understand about cloud computing ;)

Yes, this is what I meant.
    And for my third point: A real big problem for any company using cloud computing now and in future is, that governments all over the world seek to gain access to any data. For a company relying on their business secrets this is a real problem. As we have seen in the recent events it's not conspiracy anymore, it's a fact. Any hosting company for any service and phone provider in the US and UK I see as compromised and not thrustworthy anymore. More countries will follow. A little pessimistic, perhaps. But as a conclusion for me: Cloud Services only for things that are not important for me.

If I offered SaaS or PaaS I would not emphasize the term Cloud Computing in my advertising.

8. hjmaier

hjmaier New Member Future Programmer

Cloud computing is separated from something being in the cloud. Cloud computing means, that the data is actually somewhere under my control, but I get the machine time from a different source.

• Like Like x 1
  9. s.molinari

@Hatsu - everything you mention can happen even if cloud computing isn't a part of where your data is stored. Your data can be taken or stolen from any hosting provider, for instance. So your worries for cloud computing would have to be the same for any hosting solution, not just the one's using cloud computing.

And, IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS equate to the logical and smart separations of responsibilities within systems built on cloud computing.

More importantly, cloud computing system are as safe or even safer than regular hosting. The companies who are all dependent on this technology simply cannot afford to have security issues, because the core trust they have with their customers is built around the services they provide on cloud computing. Whereas, with normal hosting, they only give you security up to the LAN connection in the server. What goes on in your server is completely your responsibility. If you get hacked, you can't look at your hoster for any excuses nor retribution. In a cloud computing service, you can and that is why they simply can't afford to have unsecure systems.

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boothby

Boothby New Member

At the first gance it is a marketing strategy where some guys promise us (the customers) the land of wine and honey. It seems there is a new hype about this. All producers have their clouds. They offer their own versions of it. I am/we are surrounded by them, atm. When I buy a new laptop, the cloud is within, be it acer or apple or .... Do I need really it? Do I really want to share my data all over the world? Who benefits from it, me or the producer? I dont know!

I dont know much about cloud computing from a technical point of view. Yes, I can read the articles on Wikipedia and try to understand, but in the end, for me, its a theoretical technical term and a marketing hype.

So, why am I here? I want to know and talk about what can be done with this Cloud Computing, what Apps/Services you will offer, how these apps are linked together, what are the benefits of your services compared with boxed software. That are the interesting questions for me in the near future. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. s.molinari

And unfortunately, what you've mentioned Boothby is why we have an issue about clarifying what cloud computing really is. The "cloud hype" overshadows too much of the really good stuff.

"The Cloud" is a term often mixed up with cloud computing, because, applications created using cloud computing are "in the Cloud". As mentioned earlier, anything, which can be stored externally to your device, and can be retrieved or used on any other device is "in the Cloud". There are even NAS systems being sold today saying "create your own personal cloud".

This is how I best describe cloud computing.

Cloud computing is the ability to split up computing power and resources and automate its uses and yet interconnect that computing power for even more efficient usage.

So what does this mean for anyone? At the site owner level not too much directly. But for a company looking to create a new technology, it means considerable cost savings, because server resources can be utilized much, much better and more efficiently. These costs savings can be passed on to the customer, so a win there for them too. This, in turn, also means a more "greener" system, because computer resources are less wasted.

The basis of cloud computing is IaaS or Infrastructure as a Service. A company that gives their customers the ability to fire up servers, interconnect them to each other and destroy them at will, through an API, is an IaaS provider. On the other hand, a hosting company that gives you a VPS is not offering cloud computing. For instance, if you have to ask for vertical scaling (more RAM, more CPU power, etc.), then you aren't on a cloud computing platform. With IaaS, scaling is possible straight through the APIs. Some of the best IaaS providers are Amazon Web Services, Rackspace and GoGrid and even Microsoft.

The next level of cloud computing, and this is the least known and the least built out level of cloud computing currently, is PaaS or Platform as a Service. This is where Skooppa is going to start. PaaS basically means a system in which developers can plug into a pre-built, performant system, with (more than likely) a database backend and can basically create an "instance" of the platform and can start programming an application on it and for it. The programmer (or team of programmers), don't have to worry about the underlying technologies, like web server, server, load balancing and the like. All they need to concentrate on is their code. This is very interesting for, say, startups, who just need a platform to get programming on to create their ideas and don't want to worry about all the server headaches.

The next and last level of cloud computing is SaaS or Software as a Service. This is basically the application layer created by the developers and offered to their end users/ customers. Let's say you as a site owner would want to start an online community on Skooppa. Well, what you are offering to your users is then a true SaaS offering.

I hope that makes sense. It is vitally important we make cloud computing clear and where Skooppa and the customer fit into it. Here is a diagram to help make it a bit clearer.

cloud computing diagram.png

Scott

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. s.molinari

• Like Like x 1
  13. sudhir

sudhir New Member

I need to to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely enjoyed
    every little bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite